Frequently Asked Questions
What is SmartCtrl?
SmartCtrl is a controller design software specifically geared towards power electronics applications. It features a user-friendly interface, simple workflow, and comprehensible display of control loop stability and performance. SmartCtrl facilitates the simple and fast designing of controllers for various power converters.
SmartCtrl adds a digital controller design option. With this package, one can design a controller directly in digital. All the delay effects are included in the plant. That way you can obtain the digital compensator easily.
Also, SmartCtrl allows designing a controller in the analog s-domain, defining digital delay and check the control loop stability, all with the digital delay being taken into account. Once the controller is designed, digital controller coefficients for z-domain implementation can then be generated. Digital regulators are obtained following the discretization of their corresponding analog compensators, which are calculated using the analog approach of SmartCtrl. Three factors must be taken into account in our digital control calculations:
• Sampling frequency of the regulator.
• Number of bits to represent the resolution in fixed point the coefficients of the obtained compensators.
• Overall time delay in the control loop.
A good practice is to compare the discretized compensator with the original analog one.
In both cases, SmartCtrl allows calculating the z-domain coefficients of digital compensators so that they can be implemented by digital devices, e.g., FPGAs or DSPs.
What makes our tool different?
Unlike other general simulation software, SmartCtrl is a tool specifically designed for power electronics applications. Then, SmartCtrl provides the user many specific blocks in order to ease the design of this type of converters.
Is this a tool for advanced power supply?
Yes, this tools allows you to design any type of compensator for power converters included power supplies.
What do I need to know in order to use SmartCtrl?
SmartCtrl is very easy to use. The user needs basic knowledge on control theory and power converters.
For some type of converters, SmartCtrl helps the designer to calculate the compensator without any control knowledge required by the user.
What about Refunds?
We do not offer any chance of refunding you our software since we provide a 30-day trial for you to test Smart Ctrl before purchasing it.
Can my company buy an individual license to let all the engineer use this tool?
In order to let different users to use our software, you should get a Network license, which allows the client to validate different users with a Soft-key, whether they are Customer or Powersim hosted.
- Customer Hosted: Licenses are validated in a server located inside the customer offices. Maintenance is in charge of the customer IT service.
- Powersim Hosted: Licenses are validated in a server located inside the Powersim offices.
This license type are very versatile because each user blocks just the modules being used.
Which plan/license best suits my needs?
Our licenses are basically divided into Stand Alone and Network:
– Stand Alone licenses are for a single user and can be protected either by a hardware key (hasp-key) or by a software soft-key. Soft-key protection requires a computer first-time connection to the PSIM server. From that moment on, the software is activated.
– In order to let different users to use our software, you should get a Network license, which allows the client to validate different users with a Soft-key, whether they are Customer or Powersim hosted.
Customer Hosted: Licenses are validated in a server located inside the customer offices. Maintenance is in charge of the customer IT service.
Powersim Hosted: Licenses are validated in a server located inside the Powersim offices.
The Stand Alone license with soft-key is the cheapest compared to the one with the hasp-key but this one allows switching from one user to another much faster and easier than the soft-key.
Network licenses type are very versatile because each user blocks just the modules being used.
Are there additional costs?
If you purchase a Smart Ctrl license, you will have a fully functional program, so you do not need to pay more, unless you meet any of these requirements:
- Key replacement: only if there is no visible damage on the key and due to the internal defect, we will replace the hasp-key at no charge.
- Change/Convert of License: You can change from one type of license to another or the configuration of the license itself. Please see the “Can I change Plans or cancel at any time?” section within these Frequently Asked Questions.
- Maintenance License: this includes software upgrades that provide technical improvements and brand new development features.
- Worldwide License: in case you want to use your license worldwide, an extra charge will be added. Please see the “Can I use my license in any country?” section within these Frequently Asked Questions.
For further questions, do not hesitate to contact us.
Can I change Plans or cancel at any time?
If you want to change from one type of key to another (i.e., from hasp-key to soft-key or vice versa), or change the license configuration (i.e., moving Modules from one key to another), a handling fee will be charged. On the contrary, you can cancel it by first letting us know.
How can I buy a license?
To buy a license, please do visit this page and tell us some details for us to guide you through the easy purchase process.
Can I use my license in any country?
In case you wish to use you license(s) worldwide, the following coefficient have to be used:
|Price to use the license worldwide
Global price: 1.5 x one-country price
|Europe is considered as SmartCtrl’s distribution area (Europe, Africa, Israel and Russia)|
|The license can be used worldwide.|